Wednesday, 12 August 2009

A rant


I'm not a happy cookie. Just finished reading Alexander Mc Call Smith's new book in the 44 Scotland Street Series 'The Unbearable Lightness of Scones'. I love his writing, devour his easy-to-read gentle tales of Mama Ramotswe or the tales set in Edinburgh. But this has got me rattled.He has portrayed Glasgow in all its stereotypical awfulness. The character from Glasgow is 'Lard O' Connor'aka Aloysius Igantius Xavier O' connor, a huge beast of a gangster, who asks for a pie and chips at the douce 'Glass and Thomson' where one could never order pie and chips, of course, just quiche and poor Lard has to make do with a double quiche with loads of tomato sauce!Lard dies of a heart attack brought on by his dreadful diet.Basically Glasgow is a minging place with gangster lowlife with a diet to match. E'burgh comes out as a gentle, civilised place as one of the characters is unable to drop peanut shells at the Long Bar at Raffles in Singapore as she was born and bred in E'burgh! Has he ever been to Pilton or other estates in E'burgh? It is a lot of Morningside piffle with Ian Rankin, Magnus Linklater and other Burghers of the Capital city making an appearance.I know I should not be berating Scotland's greatly admired writer but this book really put me off. Sorry for the rant. Other Glaswegians have a read and tell me please if I'm wrong.

No comments:

Blog Archive