Sunday, 30 October 2011

The clocks go back




















Its that time of the year again, dark nights, warm clothes, and hunkering in is upon us. I love autumn more than even summer as I'll have no hay fever to contend with and the fact that people make so much more effort to get together for festivities is wonderful.

I've finished re-reading John Banville's 'The Sea' a book that draws me in from time to time. His prose-'The past beats inside me like a second heart' - is just perfect! And it is the pages of description that makes me want to re-read it again and again.

At last I have started tackling some books on the TBR list. Emma Donohue's 'The Room' is the first one in that big pile. I'm just a few pages in and I'm drawn in to her wonderful opening chapters.Her empathy and imagination of the language of a precocious five year old is incredible. A novel that I cannot put down and will finish in one sitting.

Another book that caught my attention was 'The Kashmir Shawl'. A quiet book that is a popular read and recommended by a friend is something I am looking forward to reading next.Wales, Kashmir and the story line is alluring. I'm sure I'll enjoy the book. The publisher of Sara Gruen's best selling novel 'Water for Elephants' is coming to talk to the local book group and I've been invited to the event. A historical novel that Sara Gruen wrote as part of the National Writing Month stayed on the New York Times Best seller list for 12 weeks in 2006 and was later made into a movie. Another book and movie to enjoy.

And most terrifying of all is the book launch of my second novel 'Bombay Baby' on the 24th and 30th November! Exciting times ahead!

No comments:

Blog Archive