Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Next Big Thing


I've been tagged in The Next Big Thing by fellow writer Carol McKay (Website: www.carolmckay.co.uk Blog:http://carolmckay.blogspot.com). Carol's short story 'Flags' won the inaugural Booktown Writers' Short Story Competition, and she has published several e-books in 2012 through The PotHole Press.
I'm instructed by Carol to tell you all about my next (or current) book by answering these questions and then I tag five other authors about their Next Big Thing. So here I go!

What is the working title of your latest book?
It is called ‘Bombay Baby.' A tale set in Glasgow and Bombay.
Where did the idea come from for the book?
It was a photo in the Times newspaper of a little girl Freya, sitting between her two white parents and the question came to me ‘How would that girl feel about her origins when she is a teen?'
What genre does your book fall under?
I would say general fiction / literary fiction, a novel about a contemporary issue that society faces.
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
The main protagonist Tina would have to be a young Freida Pinto with a Glasgow accent. In fact my friend’s daughter, Annika Rose,  who played a police constable in Taggart and was the first Black Juliet in RSC’S Romeo and Juliet would be perfect. James would be Gerrard Butler of course! Sanjeev Bhaskar would be good as Mr. Joshi The highlight of the film would be exotic Mumbai and  douce Bearsden in Glasgow.
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
She is a brown baby born to white parents from an embryo transplant. After her eighteenth birthday Tina sets out on a quest to find her real identity.
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
It has been published by small indie press Dahlia Publishing Limited.
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Two years from inception to writing it. I had the idea when I was writing novel one, the story would not go away and I had to write it.
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
There are some books about surrogacy and the impact of it on the couple’s lives, like Jodi Picoult’s  ‘Sing You Home’ ‘Origins of Love’ by Kishwar Desai, but  my novel looks at it from the child’s point of view. What are the consequences of interracial upbringing and how do some people cope with such a heritage. The Scottish and Indian angle is unique too.    
Who or What inspired you to write this book?
I am an avid reader. Every time I go into bookshops I fail to find any book that relates to the lives of Indians in Scotland. James Kelman bringing out the voice of the working class Glaswegians and making them heard through books is my greatest influence. I want that to happen to multi-cultural literature in Scotland. We need to tell our stories and participate and contribute to the culture of this country.
What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
There are amazing connections between Scotland and India and few people are aware of it. The Bombay Scottish school, and many others which would pique the reader’s interest for sure.
Here are some fine authors I've tagged to tell you about their Next Big Thing! …..
 Zoe Strachan-  http://zoestrachan.com/aboutzoe.html
 Bashabi Fraser- http://www.bashabifraser.blogspot.co.uk

Peter Cooper - http://petercooperstellingtales.com/2012/11/13/inspector-bucket-takes-the-train-2/

I am still waiting for two other authors to respond to this tagging.
My thanks to Carol McKay for tagging me.

No comments:

Blog Archive